Translate Page

Thursday, November 15, 2018

Assignment 18: News App Critique

ESPN App critique.

I'm a very dedicated sports fan. Not only am I dedicated to the teams I root for, I'm dedicated to the sport. Because of this, I have multiple apps on my phone that allow me to keep up with all of the major sports organizations including the NFL, NBA, NHL, and MLB.

The apps I use are ESPN, Bleacher Report, and CBS Sports. Each of these apps have a different style of reporting that appeal to me. ESPN is a great app as a feed of scores and games going on right now. I get a notification every time one of my favorite teams begins and ends play, along with the final score. Bleacher Report has very in-depth articles and analysis of news from around the various leagues. CBS Sports is a solid mixture of ESPN and Bleacher Report, but I mainly use it for video highlights and postgame interviews.

I decided to review the ESPN app, simply because it's the app I'm most familiar with.


The app is very interactive. The first time you open the app, it asks you what your favorite teams and leagues are so that it can feed relevant information to you. I get a notification every time the Packers (NFL), Spurs (NBA), Braves (MLB), Penguins (NHL), Razorbacks (NCAA), and Chelsea FC (PL) begin play. I am also notified of the final score of every game.

The app also pushes notifications of major sports news to you. For example, I don't follow boxing very closely, but I receive notifications about 'big-name' matches that are being set or occurring. This goes for most sports I don't follow very closely.

You can also get a free ten minute live viewing of any sporting event listed on the app. I recommend waiting until the game is close to being over and catching the final minutes on the app if the game is not shown on your TV.

My main complaint with the app is that sometimes it does not load correctly or has inaccurate scores, but it's impossible for the app to update immediately after a score in any sport.

I enjoy the ESPN app very much and highly recommend it to any sports fan.


No comments:

Post a Comment