Translate Page

Thursday, September 27, 2018

Assignment 6: Campus Crime

Loyola student beaten, robbed on campus. Students on campus not notified of attack.

The alleyway outside of Mullins' apartment where the attack occurred.
via The Loyola Phoenix, Owen Connor

Loyola University senior Lizzie Mullins, 21, was beaten and robbed in an alleyway outside of her apartment on September 17th. Mullins was heading home from a friends house at around 2:30am when she was attacked by three men.

Mullins says she was struck in the head and robbed of all of her belongings, including her purse, wallet, and cell phone. "I can't even remember... All I know is they took all my stuff," Mullins said.

The Communications student said her memory is still very hazy, and that she didn't remember there being anything wrong until she was in her apartment and noticed she was covered in her own blood. Mullins said, "I have no memory of what they did to me... I've been trying to replay the narrative in my head of like, what could explain the scratches I have, [and] where I do have the bruise I have [sic]."

After Chicago PD and Loyola Campus Safety arrived and Mullins was sent to the hospital, no students, including Mullins' roommate, was notified of the incident that occurred on campus. Junior Taylor Perez said she uses the alleyway the attack occurred in very frequently. "It makes me pretty scared, not going to lie, because I live around here," Perez said.

No notification of any kind was sent by the Campus Safety unit after the attack. Sophomore Veena Sundar was unaware of the attack until she was informed by The Phoenix. "Maybe [Campus Safety] didn't think it was that important, which obviously is wrong," Sundar said.

The investigation is ongoing by Chicago PD.

Original story via The Loyola Phoenix, Michael McDevitt

No comments:

Post a Comment